Friends of the Rohnert Park-Cotati Library
The Friends of the Rohnert Park-Cotati Library is a nonprofit volunteer organization incorporated in 1976. The Friends are dedicated to bringing the magic of books and enrichment programs to everyone by supporting the library.
Through the sale of used books and other media donated by the community, we provide funding for materials and programs not otherwise available through the library system.
The Friends’ organization, activities, and business are managed by its board of directors, currently including:
- President—Jake Mackenzie
- Vice-President—Fred Albrecht
- Secretary—Mary Condon
- Treasurer—Janis Brokaw
Join the Friends
Volunteer positions are staffed based on current need for volunteers, and volunteers’ expertise, experience, and availability for work. Some volunteer positions support our bookstore and back room sorting and storage area, and involve a weekly commitment during normal library hours (typically 2 to 3 hours per week). Other work is scheduled as needed to support our major book sales and other Friends’ activities.
The activities typically performed by Friends volunteers include:
- Bookstore and storage room processing (2 to 3 hours per week)
- Bookstore cashier (open and close bookstore, greet and help customers, handle cash sales)
- Process donated books (receive donations, clean, price, sort, and shelve by category)
- Replenish and update most sellable books in bookstore
- Volunteer coordination, scheduling, and administration
- Some tasks require the ability to bend, reach, lift books, and push a loaded book cart
Volunteer applications are available in the bookstore. Your help is needed and much appreciated.
Volunteer tasks scheduled as-needed and as volunteers are available:
- Volunteers with a pickup truck are needed periodically for book transportation
- Support book sales by setting up the book sale room, moving boxes of books, setting up book displays for sale
- During book sales, work at the sales table or work on the floor to maintain and replenish book displays on tables
- General support tasks: membership/volunteer administration, edit newsletters, computer work, serve on the board, represent Friends at community meetings, etc.
Our all-volunteer efforts process over 100,000 books, magazines, CDs, and other materials each year.
Year-Round Book Sales
The Friends coordinate book sales each year, with main book sales generally occurring in February, June, and September.
The bookstore is located in the Rohnert Park-Cotati Library across from the circulation desk and is open Tuesday through Saturday. If you have not discovered this well-stocked gem, you are in for a treat! The Friends’ primary fundraising activity is resale of donated new and used books, magazines, CDs, DVDs, and other printed materials through our bookstore and additional book sales.
Bookstore Hours of Operation
Sunday: 2:00pm – 4:00pm
Monday: 2:00pm – 4:30pm
Tuesday: 10:00am – 4:30pm
Wednesday: 10:00am – 7:00pm
Thursday-Saturday: 10:00am – 4:30pm
Book and Media Donations
The Friends of the Rohnert Park-Cotati Library accept donations during bookstore open hours. Please leave donations on the cart just outside the bookstore. A receipt can be provided for your tax records.
The following donations are welcome:
- New and used books
- Magazines (less than 2 years old)
Please do not donate:
- Soiled, musty, smoky, or torn books
- Reader's Digest condensed books
- Encyclopedias more than 10 years old
- Law or medical textbooks
- School textbooks more than 10 years old (except history or math)
- Magazines more than 2 years old
- Computer books more than 6 years old
- Adult or children's VHS tapes and records
Contact the Friends
Questions? Concerns? Comments?
Call 707-584-9121 Ext. 0940