Volunteer to Become an Adult Learning Partner (Tutor)
The rewards for our community are endless.
What Do Volunteer Learning Partners Do?
- Weekly, they provide 2-3 hours of one-to-one instruction to their adult learning partner at their local library
- They focus their instruction on the adult learner’s chosen program goals
- They help individual adults improve their basic reading and writing skills
- They help individual adults learn basic English or improve their English speaking, listening and understanding skills
- Monthly, they submit online their learning partnership hours, activities, and achievements
- They commit to a 6-month minimum of tutoring with their learning partner and can extend their partnership by mutual agreement
- Together with their learning partner, they bring to life the Sonoma County Library Mission: to bring information, ideas, and people together to build a stronger community
Who Qualifies as a Volunteer Learning Partner?
- Volunteers must be at least 21 years old
- Volunteers must have a High School Diploma or GED
- Volunteers must possess strong skill in: reading, writing and English communication
- Volunteers do NOT have to be bilingual (but we welcome those that are)
- Volunteers do NOT need to have formal teaching background or prior tutoring experience
- Volunteers are members of the community with a desire to help another adult achieve their learning and life goals by improving their basic reading, writing, and English language skills
- Volunteers are patient, kind, inclusive, and available to participate
How Can I Sign Up for Free Online Training to Become a Volunteer Adult Learning Partner?
Email us at least a week in advance of our Orientation-Training Dates listed below: firstname.lastname@example.org or call (707)544-2622.
We need to hear from you at least one week in advance of one of the dates listed so we can request and receive intake information from you. After that exchange, we will send you a link to join us on Zoom for one of these sessions:
After you attend one of these New Tutor Orientation dates on Zoom, you will receive access to our free online tutor training modules. The training modules are self-paced and you will have four weeks to complete all the modules.
You must attend an orientation and then complete the training modules to become a volunteer learning partner (tutor) and work with an adult learner in our programs.