Genealogy Resources on the Web
Main Genealogy page
Getting started with your genealogy and family history
- The Sonoma County Genealogical Society
- Local genealogical society meets monthly in Santa Rosa. Members can help you with getting started on your research, and the website has links to useful publications and online resources.
FamilySearch Research Videos
- Dozens of free videos with course handouts. Courses cover all levels, from basic family history and genealogy
research to accreditation and conference videos for professional genealogists.
- Companion website to the PBS family history and genealogy TV series. Includes a state-by-state resource guide and free pedigree charts and family record forms.
Getting Started in Genealogy
- From the Genealogy Center at Allen County Public Library.
Family History and Genealogy
- Resources from government archives, where to find different kinds of records. From USA.gov.
Resources for Genealogists
- From the National Archives. Try their Online Public Access to research in many archives at once.
Major search sites
- Ancestry - in Library only
- Excellent source for vital records and other resources for genealogical research. Available inside the Library only.
More information about Ancestry
- HeritageQuest Online
- (Sonoma County
Library library card required for access from home)
- More information about HeritageQuest
Having trouble reaching or using HeritageQuest? Help and Troubleshooting
- From the Church of LDS. This site allows you to search the
Ancestral file, their family history library catalog. Also available
is the International Genealogy Index and the Family Search pedigree
- This is the oldest free genealogy website. Search a large database
by family name, with links to message boards, family trees, and genealogy
US GenWeb Project
- USGenWeb Project is a volunteer project working to provide genealogical
information for each state and county in the U. S. Resources available
in each county are listed.
- California Birth Index
- Due to privacy laws, the Birth Index is no longer available. For
local Sonoma County birth records from 1873 to present, see the County
Clerk's Office. Public access terminals are available for limited
vital records research at the County Clerk's Office.
Death Index, 1940-1997
- There may be records from before the stated beginning date of the
Ellis Island Records
- This database contains not only passenger lists for those who came
through Ellis Island on their way to settling in the United States,
but additional information on immigrant groups, and overviews of immigration
patterns from specific countries. The family archive created here
will also solicit contributions of personal documents and photos to
Genealogy collection on Archive.org
- Passenger lists, county records, family genealogies, Indian Census of the
United States, and other materials scanned
in from the Allen County Public Library Genealogy Center and other libraries.
Genealogy Librarian News
- Highlights of new articles in different regional genealogical publications; links to complete genealogy books you can read, download, or search.
- Ninety subject categories of links to genealogy sites on the Internet.
- A good portal site for beginning your research. The web site has
online indexes to the Family Tree Maker CD-ROM products.
- A popular site for searching genealogy databases, with articles about how to trace your family history. Now includes the Live Roots search tool for finding out which libraries, websites, or database companies have the genealogical information you are seeking.
- Lists sites which have searchable databases.
UK National Archives: records
- Find public records for the United Kingdom.